Welcome to phpBB3 (technical info)

This is the NSG forum where members may discuss cases, methodology, whatever.
gill1109
Site Admin

Welcome to phpBB3 (technical info)

Post by gill1109 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:22 pm

This is an example post in our phpBB3 installation. Everything seems to be working. I will probably delete this post later and continue to set up the bulletin board. During the installation process, our first category and our first forum were assigned an appropriate set of permissions for the predefined usergroups administrators, bots, global moderators, guests, registered users and registered COPPA users.

The rest of this post is reminders to our administrators (so far, Richard Gill alone). If we delete our first category and our first forum, we must not forget to assign permissions for all these usergroups for all new categories and forums we create. It is recommended to rename our first category and our first forum and copy permissions from these while creating new categories and forums.

Have fun!

gill1109
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to phpBB3 (technical info)

Post by gill1109 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:34 am

What is COPPA?

From the FAQ:
COPPA, or the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, is a law in the United States requiring websites which can potentially collect information from minors under the age of 13 to have written parental consent or some other method of legal guardian acknowledgment, allowing the collection of personally identifiable information from a minor under the age of 13. If you are unsure if this applies to you as someone trying to register or to the website you are trying to register on, contact legal counsel for assistance. Please note that phpBB Limited and the owners of this board cannot provide legal advice and is not a point of contact for legal concerns of any kind, except as outlined in question “Who do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this board?”.

gill1109
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to phpBB3 (technical info)

Post by gill1109 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 am

It's possible to add some sort of extensions called BBcode to phpBB, in particular, there are extensions for typing math formulas (primitive latex). I would dearly like to have a forum co-manager of the type computer-hacker/computer-nerd [I am the type, but not proficient enough]. Volunteers?

I could also do with help managing the website itself. How to get the page with our members into a more decent format?